I think the datatype of your output file is determined by the first image in the sequence:

See fslmaths documentation:

Datatype information:
 -dt sets the datatype used internally for calculations (default float for all except double images)
 -odt sets the output datatype (default as original image)
 Possible datatypes are: char short int float double
 Additionally "-dt input" will set the internal datatype to that of the original image

-Dianne