Hi,

The Bayesian framework and Markov Random Field are part of
the segmentation method - FAST - which you can read about in:
   Y. Zhang, M. Brady, and S. Smith.
   Segmentation of brain MR images through a hidden Markov random
field model and the expectation maximization algorithm.
   IEEE Trans. on Medical Imaging, 20(1):45-57, 2001.
this is linked from the "FAST Research Page" which you
can find from the FAST online documentation.

If you read the SIENA technical report at:
   http://www.fmrib.ox.ac.uk/analysis/research/siena/siena.pdf
then you can see in equation 2 and the discussion
afterwards that the true area, A, and volume, V, are not
needed, but instead the ratio, f, is found by a calibration
process that involves scaling a known image, which then
allows the %BVC to be calculated from the edge motion, l,
which is defined in equation 1.

I hope this helps.
All the best,
	Mark