I love the new option to incorporate filters into any PubMed search and have
now set up several.  It is a quick way to scope the range of literature
available, although you still need to run the actual filters for any
systematic review type search, especially if you are running alerts.

As was mentioned by Michael P., Health technology appraisals and guidelines
also incorporate systematic reviews and could be missed when using too
limited a systematic review filter. You can enhance your preferred systematic
review filter to include health technology assessments by adding the line
below.  (For comprehensiveness, I still use the PubMed systematic review
filter and augment it with this and several other strings.)

health technology assessment* [tiab] OR "Technology Assessment, Biomedical"
[mh] OR HTA [tiab] OR HTAs [tiab]

I hadn't thought of "health technology appraisal" before (I just did a quick
search and there were 8 hits, almost all of which would have been picked up
using the above string) but that could also be added:

health technology appraisal* [tiab]

Guidelines are partially incorporated into the PubMed systematic filter. They
could also be searched separately using more precise text strings (e.g.,
practice guideline* [tiab] OR "practice parameter* [tiab] OR CPG [tiab] OR
CPGs [tiab]) .  A grey literature search for guidelines is essential, though,
as many of them aren't published in peer-reviewed journals and thus still
don't make it into traditional databases.

Becky Skidmore

Medical Research Analyst / Analyste de recherche médicale

The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada / La Société des
obstétriciens et gynécologues du Canada (SOGC)

780, promenade Echo Drive

Ottawa, ON  K1S 5R7

Phone / téléphone : 613 730 4192 ext 246

800-561-2416 ext 246

Fax / télécopieur : 613 730 4314

Email / courriel : [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Web / Site Web : www.sogc.org <http://www.sogc.org/>

  <http://sogc.org/cmes/qc2010/index.aspx>