From: "Gary Jackson (CMDHB)" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: "Evidence based health (EBH)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:29:19
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Colorectal cancer screening article in JAMA

I guess that I considered that "further evidence" wasn't needed - you
have a more expensive and more harmful intervention that (on best
reading) doesn't seem to give particularly better results - until such
time as you are convinced that it will give better results enough to
counteract the harm caused you should be switching to sigmoidoscopy if
you wish to pursue a population screening approach regardless of whether
colonsocopy is general use or not.   The balance of evidence proof
should be the other way around - unlesss you are certain it is better
you shouldn't be doing it, rather than being unclear if it better/at
best it is only slightly better. Even if you can bill higher.  Agree the
decision is easier if you were just starting out designing a programme,
but the logic seems the same to me, and the switch straightforward in
practice.

Regards
Gary