Additional questions are whether all patients were cared for by a trainee or whether attending physicians were distracted by the act of orienting the trainees during their first few weeks. I hate for policy changes to be enacted related to an inaccurate assessment of causality.
Loree

Sent from my HTC smartphone

________________________________
From: Ash Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: JGIM article: Spike in Medication Errors in July

Dear Bill and Rakesh,
There is a reletively similar study about the NHS:
Early In-Hospital Mortality following Trainee Doctors' First Day at Work
You can read the article at following PLOS weblink:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0007103

However, the NHS Knowledge Service, while critically appraising the article, had this to comment:

This is a large, generally well-conducted retrospective cohort study. It noted a small but significant difference in mortality for emergency hospital admissions on the first Wednesday in August compared with the last Wednesday in July.

This observation, referred to in the US as the 'July phenomenon', has been investigated in several studies with inconsistent findings. In this study, the researchers attempted to avoid the possible biases that the other studies investigating this July phenomenon may have faced. For example:

 *   They only included emergency admissions to address the possible bias that elective admissions may be planned around the holiday period and upcoming change in hospital staff.
 *   They followed patients for a short period (one week) because later deaths may not reflect the quality of initial management and care.
 *   They used routinely collected data for a large number of patients.

There are some points to bear in mind when considering the findings of this study:

 *   The absolute number of increased deaths in the August admissions was small, that is, a total of 45 in nine years (2,227 compared with 2,182). This is 45 deaths too many, particularly if there is a link to the quality of care these patients received, but the 6% increased odds must be interpreted alongside the actual numbers who died.
 *   The research highlighted a consistent pattern across the years: that admissions on the first Wednesday in August were consistently fewer than the number of admissions on the last Wednesday in July. This pattern suggests some systematic differences in referrals that needs further investigation. For example, patients with less severe illness, and who have the choice, may prefer to be admitted in July before the staff handover. As such, unmeasured factors in relation to who is admitted and why they are admitted may play a part.
 *   With data on almost 300,000 admissions, the results are statistically significant but only just.

From these results, it isn’t possible to conclude that poorer care is responsible for the higher deaths in the first week in August. Further study of individual cases and a quantification of the number of preventable deaths would be helpful and the researchers specifically call for this.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards,

Ash