 I am also based in Birmingham, but work for a large FE college. I am currently at risk of redundancy and as part of a skills audit I  have to state how new national developments  in my curriculum have affected  the way I teach my subject. I feel I should be able to say that the 'New Approach' has changed our curriculum, classes and the way we are developing our courses but I can't as there seems to be little or no movement in the joining together of the organisations in the Birmingham area or implementing the new approach.

We are likely to be losing 40 evening classes plus community provision for the next academic year plus 5 full-time classes: 2 pre entry and 3 at Level 1 and 2 due to falling below MLP; one of the pre-entry groups is my tutor group which currently has a success rate 22% above the benchmark and has some of the best attendance, achievement and punctuality from the whole department! Weren't these the learners that the new approach was supposed to reach??!! And are we not reaching them very well??!!

I suppose though that we're only dedicated, experienced and passionate ESOL professionals so what would we know about what is best for our learners?!

Alex Halliday

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:10:52 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Implementing the New Approach to ESOL
To: [log in to unmask]

Well, at the Skills for Life conference in Birmingham last autumn, I was told that the New Approach was going to solve all our problems locally, but in the past week alone I have talked to two colleagues who have had community classes for women closed. BAES does not appear to be offering any more courses at E1 and E2, which is where the greatest local need is, especially among women.  So where is the city putting the money it now controls? Is it going into ESOL at all? If it is, the ESOL teachers employed by the city have not been informed, are still losing teaching hours (and we are all sessional), and no one that I know is involved in any new provision. If there is any new or replacement provision, is it being taught by trained teachers and if so, who are they?

(I have nearly finished teaching a very badly organised 'Working Neighbourhood Fund' E2 class; the most serious failure from the point of view of the students, or at least those who are seriously looking for work, is that the promised work experience in local businesses has not materialised. Any work experience will have to be within the centre. The students aren't necessarily at the specified level or genuinely looking for work --one example is a young asylum seeker who wants to work but can't. I pleaded back in March to be told what kind of documentation would be required, but only last week finally got a copy of an e-mail asking for extensive documentation.)

I hope your venture is more successful.

Cheryl Thornett
ESOL & Adult Literacy Tutor
BAES