Unless things have been adjusted, the legal requirement for 'two efficient brakes' in the UK generally accepted a fixed wheel as an 'efficient' braking mechanism, therefore fixed wheel machines require only one brake. The standard for all 19th century machines was a single tyre brake in conjunction with a fixed wheel and I have yet to be questioned by the authorities for riding such a machine in the early 21st century. Moreover ordinaries and velocipede bicycles are still legal road vehicles to my knowledge, neither of which carry more than one brake beyond the fixed wheel. The issue of bicycle brakes is one of those that was hedged in with the perception of the rider and I guess still is. Braking regulations were primarily aimed at controlling 'scorchers' who removed brakes as adding unecessary weight to machines as well as a fashion statement, this was quickly legislated against providing policemen with an excuse for booking someone who they suspected might indulge in 'furious riding' without any evidence that they did. Mudguard legislation was another, similar response to scorchers removing these for weight reduction. I can see that the law might now interpret 'two efficient brakes' as above and beyond a fixed wheel for precisely the same reason, the fear that those who ride modern 'fixies' are (in current parlance) irresponsible road users (how much better the term 'scorcher' is) and require some easy method of restraint.

Nicholas Oddy

________________________________

From: Cycling and Society Research Group discussion list on behalf of gary cummins
Sent: Tue 27/07/2010 20:47
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Melbourne developments[Scanned-Clean]

Fixies are sold with two brakes in the UK therefore they are legal here, and are very easy to stop, and stop far more quickly than with two rim brakes.

I don't think they make any claim to being conservationist - whatever that is. It certainly is a fashion thing rather than cultural. But the joy is people are on bikes.

Gary Cummins

Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up now. <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/>