In Los Angeles fixie culture has been taken up by the teenaged kids of immigrants, kids who used to ride skateboards a few years ago. At the same time bicycle theft has become epidemic. Sure they don't stop at stoplights, and might be ripping off our components. But isn't it still a good thing that teens think biking is cool? In the U.S. this is a potentially transformational development on our otherwise car-choked streets.
As for helmets, ha. Unfortunately any police enforcement of our under 18 helmet law comes across as racial harassment due to the ongoing problem of LA's overzealous and entitled police department.