Thanks Tom

It has proven enormously difficult to balance practicality with idealism in organising these concerts.  On the one hand we want them to be truly zero carbon in every aspect, on the other if we make things too strict we will put people off organising them.

Please have a look at the website www.zerocarbonconcert.org and see if you think we've got the balance right

Chris

On 13/07/2010 09:36, Barker, Tom wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

The ‘events industry’ is huge, growing, and extraordinary wasteful of resources (I count carbon emissions as a resource) both in operation and especially in enticing people to travel great distances (for what mostly could be done via email or video-conference). If this concert can be done at, say, 10% of ‘standard’ energy and other resource costs, it will have achieved much more than a token ‘Live Aid’.

Tom

From: Discussion list for the Crisis Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Keene
Sent: 12 July 2010 21:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Do something positive about climate change, and have fun doing it

I obviously haven't across the message well enough - these are meant to be zero carbon concerts - although it may not be possible to get all the way down to zero in every case, but we're going to have a damn good try.  And we're going to be working together to achieve this - all pooling our ideas on how to overcome some of the difficult practical problems involved in not only powering the concert but also heating the venue, and transporting the audience, equipment and artists.

And if you've got any handy hints on how to do it visit the website and contribute your ideas under 'Leave a reply' at the bottom of the web page 'How to organise a concert'

Please don't be negative about it - this won't be anything like Live Earth - it will be a grassroots effort showing that ordinary people can have fun in a zero carbon way - we won't have mega-rich rock stars jetting in from other continents. (But I met a band called Kizmet I think, at the weekend at Drum Camp, and asked them if they want to be involved - but they will have to obey the zero carbon guidelines just like everyone else - but maybe it wasn't a good idea to ask them - when is a celebrity not a celebrity?)

Thanks

Chris