Step 1: got www.ixquick.com and paste in the error message (fsck.ext2: Is a
	directory while trying to open /), read the first link of the search
        results.
Step 2: Enter the root password at the (possibly not well visible) prompt and
        run fsck on your partitions.
Step 3: mount the root-partition and check out the file /etc/fstab. The error
        message sounds as though it contains a spurious entry.

Good luck, Tim
On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 12:24:00PM +0530, tarique khan wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
> My linux workstation(rhel4) is giving  following errors, when i am trying to
> boot.
>  here is what i get.
> Starting undev: [ok]
> Initializing hardware... storage network audio done [ok]
> mount: mount: can't find /dev/pts in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>
> Setting clock (localtime): Thu Jul 1  12:10:41 EDT2010 [ok]
> Configuring kernel parameters:                                      [ok]
> Setting hostname master201.nii.res.in:                           [ok]
>
> checking root filesystem
> fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /
>
>        [failed]
>
> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> *** Warning -- SELinux is active
> *** Disabling security enforcement for system recovery.
> *** Run 'setenforce 1' to reenable.
> Give root password for maintenance.
> (or type Control-D to continue):
> *