On Fri, 2010-07-02 at 13:35 -0400, Douglas Jacobsen wrote:
> My opinion is that attached images in bb posts should be allowed:
>      1) Storage & network bandwidth is cheap

Glad to hear that University of Michigan administrators agree with you.
However, you should not forget that cheap is a complicated concept, and
some poor grad student in Uzbekistan may not have access to ultrafast
internet.

>      2) Attached (even inline) images are convenient to understanding
> the question/issue at hand

Of course.  And so are images you can open in your web browser.

>      3) Emails are very easily deleted

Another excellent point.  But the goal of posting a question is to
elicit an answer.  Even if there are very few people who automatically
delete ccp4bb posts with attachments, your audience is reduced.

>      4) If images are to be "attached" via web-links, then it may not
> be
> possible to refer to them appropriately in the archives if the images
> are ever removed from the hosting server. - it seems to me that the
> archive of the bb is an excellent resource, but is diminished if the
> content can not be maintained centrally.

Good point.  One more reason to have a collection of
"what-is-this-density?" images on ccp4wiki.  Such gallery would be much
more accessible than images attached to an obscure post deep in ccp4bb
archives.  One of the recent posts with images was "Odd loop stabilised
by an cation" - why would I search with this combination of words?

--
"I'd jump in myself, if I weren't so good at whistling."
                               Julian, King of Lemurs