  From: Mark Weiss
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 4:13 PM
  Subject: Re: Never such innocents again

  The analogy with arts colleges (meaning plastic arts) has been used in the US as well. It's not a very good analogy. On the simplest level, we all grow up using spoken language, and we're all trained in written language from an early age. We're all trained to read,as well. Which means that the tools are already available. Painting (to use one genre as an example) is very different. While those lucky enough and so inclined can attend museums, the basic techniques of applying paint to canvas are not universally available. That's why almost all painters since there have been professional painters have had studio training. Writers, for the most part, have been on their own. Shakespeare may have studied rhetoric, but he surely didn't take creative writing courses.

  What may be analogous is the social and professional role of educational certification for artists.

  Again, I'm not denying that there are great teachers in academic settings and students who greatly benefit from them. The issue is more the larger impact on the art.

  Best,

  Mark