I think we're in agreement that "conservative" and "charming" are meant as patronizing - weak-tea indeed - and that 'lyrical" sandwiched between them really gets thinned down to nothing. (Though in other contexts  the word might still have some force.) But the orignal blog moves from "British poetry remains conservative, lyrical, and charming" to "It combines humour and personality. It is stylish, both urbane and rural. British poetry is a major accomplishment of world culture..." - So the whole flattened enterprise of British poetry somehow proudly builds itself up again and can look the world in the eye.
 It all looks pretty meaningless to me, so perhaps I shouldn't have posted on the subject. I was just surprised David, in wheeling in the Edwardians, thought there some political acuity to it. Or maybe he didn't, and I misunderstood even that.
Jamie
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Mark Weiss
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: "So who are the Young British Poets?"

I've known a few who definitely lacked charm.

My quip--it was only that--reflected my sense that these are pretty weak-tea virtues (as the words are usually used), and they certainly aren't always what's strived for. Is Pound charming most of the time? What about Wordsworth circa 1798? Lyrical here I take it doesn't refer to the much-contested lyric poem, but to musicality. But only to one type of musicality. Is Sean Bonney lyrical in that sense? (Hi, Sean).

Best,

Mark