Many thanks to those of you who replied to my query to say that SP1 was working fine for you – that was reassuring and useful. We eventually decided that the peculiar behaviour was the result of unexpected consequences of changes we had made to our DNS settings.

However, having resolved that issue, we still found the login page producing unexpected behaviour (i.e. changed since version 8)

This occurred regardless of whether we used a standalone login page, or had the login form embedded in a portal tab. The common factor, we have now discovered, is that we were pulling in images from the Blackboard Content Collection. We’ve done that for some years, apparently without any issues, but now – even though the permissions on the images are set to public – it causes problems.

That’s a pain, but at least there’s a simple solution  - get rid of the images / upload them somewhere other than the Content Collection!

Garry Harper’s explanation:

if a content system file is included on the login page, when it gets the file (even if its public) it will create a guest session this session overwites the session you just created by logging in.

I will write up a kb and add a note to the kb on custom login pages advising not to use images from the content system. I think the images should reside in the branding folder.

all the best

Andy