I think this suggestion by Lord (!!)  Baker is total nonsense and a way for the ‘White’ Brits to avoid acknowledging that they might well have African ancestry. It is also a confirmation of Thatcher’s nonsense about the English (or was it ‘British’?) being ‘homogeneous Anglo-Saxons’. Isn’t it time the Brits acknowledged their very mixed ancestry?

That so few academies teach history at the GCSE level is a tragedy, I think.

Marika

From: The Black and Asian Studies Association [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of arthur torrington
Sent: 21 July 2010 14:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: History in Schools debate

I was there, and heard the debates. John Siblon's question was answered, and we have to accept that the teaching of History at levels above KS3 has major problems.  I took Lord Baker's point about Saturday schools, but he does not know the huge problems of funding faced by ethnic minority organisations, or any other organisation. A good case can be made for lottery and government assistance, which is greatly needed.

A debate via BASA's JISCMAIL could highlight the way forward.

arthur