Dear Chris

I don't think there is anything wrong or unduly provocative in putting opinions forward while the opportunity is there - I certainly would agree that the law as it stands creates a not insignificant extra administrative burden on searchroom staff; that it restricts our outreach agenda; and is a constant source of frustration and disappointment for customers (unfortunately taken out on staff!)

As it applies to archives at present it all seems overly cautious and the disadvantages appear to outweigh any benefits.  How one would change that while safeguarding copyright holders' rights is another matter but I agree we should at least put our "on the ground" points of view forward.

(My personal opinion.)

Steven Davies
Archivist / Archifydd
Flintshire Record Office / Archifdy Sir y Fflint
Tel./Ffôn: (01244) 532414

Chris Pickford <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Archivists, conservators and records managers." <[log in to unmask]>

16/07/2010 12:46
Please respond to
Chris Pickford <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Copyright and the "legislation bonfire"

A provocative question, and one that perhaps doesn't need a public answer
(at this stage, anyway)

But what is being done to alert the Government to uphelpful aspects of
copyright legislation - i.e. those with unintended (e.g. unduly restrictive)
consequences for archives - in the context of the legislation bonfire? Isn't
this an opportunity to flag up problem areas - especially those that inhibit
the archival contribution to other aspects of government policy, and those
that create unnecessary work (with associated costs)?

Just as a reminder, there is a website for the "Your Freedom" project -
http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/ - and it asks three main questions:
:: Which current laws would you like to remove or change because they
restrict your civil liberties?
:: Which regulations do you think should be removed or changed to make
running your business or organisation as simple as possible?
:: Which offences do you think we should remove or change and why?

This doesn't need to be tackled centrally. All of us can make submissions as
individuals. Many archivists, I suspect, feel that current Copyright law
restricts our ability to get our "stuff" out there to the public and creates
an irksome administrative workload.

Now is an opportunity to comment direct to Government. However, in doing so
we do need to be clear about what the specific problems are (and ideally
cite legislation / regulations that relate to them). Moreover, solutions do
need to be based on continuing respect for the rights of copyright owners.
There is some press and public cynicism about the "bonfire", but friends who
have made submissions (on non-archival topics) do say that they get the
feeling the Government is in listening mode.

Be assured, this message is intended as a positive contribution (so please
don't dismiss it as mischief making). I have hesitated before pressing the
"send" button, which I am now doing in the belief that this MAY chime a
chord with many who feel inhibited from airing their views. Is there a
groundswell of opinion out there that a lightening of copyright controls
would be beneficial to our work? If so, then I believe we need to mobilise
it now

And also health & safety, employment law, etc, etc - there are opportunities
there too, but that's another matter

Chris Pickford

Opinions advice, conclusions and other information in this

message that do not relate to the official business of

Flintshire County Council shall be understood as neither

given nor endorsed by it or on its behalf, and consequently

Flintshire County Council shall bear no responsibility

whatsoever in respect thereof.

Deellir na fydd unrhyw safbwyntiau, na chynghorion, na

chasgliadau nac unrhyw wybodaeth arall yn y neges hon,

nad ydynt yn berthnasol i waith swyddogol

Cyngor Sir y Fflint, yn cael eu cynnig na'u cadarnhau ganddo

nac ar ei ran, ac felly ni fydd Cyngor Sir y Fflint yn derbyn

unrhyw gyfrifoldeb am y rhannau hynny o'r neges.