From: bgbg.bg <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, July 13, 2010 11:36:30 PM
Subject: Re: Assessing accuracy of a measurement method

Jonathan,
here is my suggestion. I use Latex notation extensively, you may paste this
text into in order to obtain the rendered text.

From your question I understand that there is only one measurement per case
with method A. This means that assessing the agreement between A and B
reduces to showing  that the mean differences between A and B
(accuracy)($\overline{\Delta_{A,B}} \approx 0$) is as close to 0 as possible
and the standard deviation of these differences (precision) is as low as
possible.

I also learn that the measurements you take can take values between two
numbers. This might lead to the situation where the distribution of
$\Delta_{A,B}$ is far from being normal. On the other hand, you have
multiple measurements of several cases. Now, here comes the tricky part.
Assume that the real mean difference between A and B readings is $\mu$ with
standard deviation of $\sigma$. We may treat those multiple measurements as
different samplings from the overall distribution. Each sampling $i$ has its
own mean difference $\overline{\Delta_i}$. According to the central limit
theorem, the mean of means ($\mu_{\overline{\Delta}}$) is a good
approximation of real $\mu$ and the standard deviation of deltas is
connected to the real standard deviation $sigma$ as follows:
$\sigma_{\overline{\Delta}} = \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}$. You will be also
able to calculate the 95\% confidence interval of the difference estimate
using either Z or t distribution (depending on the number of cases you have
measured)

Having all this information you will be able to conclude that B agrees with
A within $\mu_{\overline{\Delta}}$ with standard deviation of
$\sigma_{\overline{\Delta}} \times \sqrt{n}$ or that B agrees with A within
$\pm CI_{95\%}$