It's not generally appreciate that excessive vit a storage can occur
even in patients normally thought to be unlikely to experience problem
e.g. Cystic Fibrosis.

Seem to remember a paper by James et al a few years back showing this.
It's the reason we do retinyl ester measurements with our serum
retinols

dj

>>> Nick Miller <[log in to unmask]> 01/07/2010 11:51 >>>
Much as I defer to the wisdom of our grannies, it is a mistake to give
cod
liver oil except to subjects who are low in vitamin A.

Co-existing with a generalised vitamin D deficiency, we appear to
suffering
from a generalised vitamin A excess. It is quite rare to see low serum
vitamin A levels (in the adult population I deal with) but quite common
see high, and even dangerously high, levels of vitamin A. I presume
this
situation has developed since WWII.

Vitamin A seems to be added to many manufactured foods and is present
in
most multi-vitamin supplements at rather high levels.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that retinol, which is an
alcohol, is
displaced from its hepatic storage sites by ethanol. So subjects who
consume regular amounts of ethanol are also at risk from potential
damage to
the liver caused by de-localised retinol.

So please, don't recomend people to take cod liver oil as a source of
vitamin D - unless you really know what you are doing.

Nick Miller
London

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article417116.ece

http://www.acb.org.ukGreen Laboratories Work
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List
Instructions
> (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community
working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the
internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are
responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

This message may contain confidential and privileged information.

If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies.

Please do not disclose copy or distribute information in this e-mail or
take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it.

Thank you for your co-operation.

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk