I believe cod liver oil is promoted by the food and fishing industry to reprocess its waste products and make a little extra cash. I am with Nick in avoiding the horrible stuff. I was given it once as a child and can still taste it. There of course are other potential toxins too (see wikipaedia for a start.)

Steve

From: Nick Miller [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 July 2010 11:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Vit D supplements

Much as I defer to the wisdom of our grannies, it is a mistake to give cod liver oil except to subjects who are low in vitamin A.

Co-existing with a generalised vitamin D deficiency, we appear to suffering from a generalised vitamin A excess. It is quite rare to see low serum vitamin A levels (in the adult population I deal with) but quite common to see high, and even dangerously high, levels of vitamin A. I presume this situation has developed since WWII.

Vitamin A seems to be added to many manufactured foods and is present in most multi-vitamin supplements at rather high levels.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that retinol, which is an alcohol, is displaced from its hepatic storage sites by ethanol. So subjects who consume regular amounts of ethanol are also at risk from potential damage to the liver caused by de-localised retinol.

So please, don't recomend people to take cod liver oil as a source of vitamin D - unless you really know what you are doing.

Nick Miller

London