From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of kaostar
Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 2:16 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Academia and Amateurs

super thread on a summer day, when the list is traditionally a bit quiet : )

great point on Stephen E Flowers, who is both respected academic and lefthandpath magico

and yes re judging on usefulness, not on any 'designer label' -  an academic study of subject A from Oxbridge versus academically-worked freelance practitioner report on same subject - on paper its the Oxbridge if you are 'scoring' on kudos and looking at how your peer-reviewers will see your findings, but the content of both may be excellent, and as i will always argue, a practitioner contribution to the feast is always hugely useful as it has privileged and nuanced insider knowledge that may otherwise be lacking - an academic who has not participated in, for example a ritual invocation, will *never* as an observer or reader, understand the cornucopia of what is going on

A hypothetical an non-ritually-experienced observer who witnessed me do some ritual group work at a woodland site a few years back would have concluded that i emerged from the undergrowth clad in rather lurid fancy dress and an animal mask, shouted some disjointed poetry, the group laughed a lot, they danced round a fire for a while and a little later everyone ate cake. it was actually a heavy-duty invocation rite that had as a central part some amazing internal and not immeidately visual or verbally-summarisable experiences. On a pure observation level it was scarcely have been worth writing about, yet it remains one of my top ten ritual experiences. Go figure

it's like the old argument about poetry- a Turing-esque robotic word analyser can be trained to assess all love poems ever published, it can be told to pick the salient themes and will, with some programming on how to structure a sentence, produce a good poem about love that reads nicely. Someone with the vocabulary, who has ever *been* in love will perhaps produce a poem that is probably more meaningful, and certainly with some passion, based on experience

not a great metaphor as i'm not calling non-practicers impassionate robots, but it'll have to do for now

as one of our JSM editors Robert Wallis wrote a long time ago, if we dare to do this work without engaging with practitioners than we are not doing our jobs right. Which is one reason why, when i was running the JSM ship at least, we reviewed both important institution-based academic publications, freelance works and intelligently-written practitioner books on the same playing field, which i think was to the benefit of everyone

something else that tends to occur with a practitioner writing in academic format is a usefully blended discipline- bits of history, anthro, sociol etc; which is somewhat rarer in academics embedded in institutions (as there are line management issues, historians working in history departments are expected to get published in history journals etc)

cheers
Dave E