Alan, I share your conclusion with regard to the relationship between
magic and the qlippoth prior to the Golden Dawn. I don't know to what
extend the qlippoth were used by Golden Dawn adepts in their magic. With
regard to clairvoyance and the method 'Rising on the Planes', Regardie
cites a text that urges one "to investigate the regions of the Qlippoth
and the Demonic Forces", as one should have knowledge of the entire
Astral Plane. (p. 465, Golden Dawn, 6th ed., 1989)

According to Bill Heidrick, Mathers used only Tom II: Pars Secunda
Tracts 1 through 3 for his translation. These texts are the Zohar
sections Sepher de Zeniutha, Idra Rabba and Idra Zuta. That means that
he left the 'Pneumatica Cabalistica seu Doctrina Hebraeorum de
Spiritibus, nempe Angelis bonis & malis…' out.

Thank you for the details of Isaac ben ha--Cohen's treatise. Scholem
mentions this treatise in his 'Major Trends', but provides no further
details. He does this in the context of "the idea of a 'left emanation,"
i. e. of an ordered hierarchy of the potencies of evil [...] which, like
the realm of light, is organized in ten spheres or stages." (pp.
177-178) This idea of an averse tree seems to stem from this treatise.
Although I don't know whether Mathers had access to it.

It seems that there were two main sources for Mathers' translation. The
Introduction is an abridgement of `The Kabbalah' by Christian Ginsburg
(1862). It is in this Introduction, that Mathers names the demons and
the arch-demons. Up till now, I haven't found these names in his
'Kabbalah Unveiled'.

The concept of Da'ath requires some further reseach. I found that Eliahu
Klein in his "Kabbalah of Creation" (2005) (p. 137) argues that Da'at,
or knowledge, is a 'concealed' sefirah between Chokmah and Binah. To
what extend this was known to Mather, I do not know.

Guido