Hi,

The MA programme in Cosmology and Divination at Kent stopped recruiting in the year 2008-9 and closed in June 2010 – it didn’t recruit enough, so was closed on financial grounds.

Can I point out the work we are doing at the University of Lampeter in this field in the MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology? See www.lamp.ac.uk/sophia

We are pioneering new ways of dealing with this subject area and we are on track to have between 60 and 70 MA students in January 2011. We have 6 research students.

The most recent module to be launched is ‘Cosmology, Magic and Divination in the Classical World’, taught by myself and Dr Crystal Addey. Other modules of interest include ‘Stellar Religion’ and ‘New Age and Pagan Cosmologies’.

Our approaches are anthropological, sociological – and a little philosophical. We have plenty of practitioners as students, as well as non-practitioners, and we encourage the development of a reflexive approach to academic studies, in keeping with current anthropological theory.

All the best,

Nick Campion

Dr Nicholas Campion

Sophia Centre for the Study of Cosmology in Culture,

School of Archaeology, History and Archaeology,

University of Wales, Lampeter.