Very good questions, Toyin. I will try to give you my opinion.

"1.To what degree is occultism different from religion? Are they not better
understood as correlative and symbiotic rather than fundamentally different,even
though you might not be implying that their difference is fundamental?"

The problematic distintion here is between Religion and Science. Religion is
about faith and Science about knowledge, roughly speaking. I will do you another
answer. Is it not prediction and manipulation of environment something Magic
claims to do, and which is continue and similar with Science? Magic was at the
beginning, and from it Science and Religion were developed as different parts of
a same think, and Ocultism is named in this way because it has survived under
the surface, as an especific subject. Religion has a lot of tools from magic, as
you has pointed out, but we can say the same about Science. You can see the
continuities, but if you align unilaterally Occultism with Religion, you could
be opposing Occultism to Science, denying any epistemological value to
Occultism. In the varied manifestation of religion, there are some which are
very related to magic, and some other which are really different. Inside the
varied manifestation of Occultism, there is some movements very religious, and
some others more devoted to knowledge even about misticism, so you can find
movements not able to be named as one or the other, but following James, if you
want to know something the more useful is going to the forms which are
inequivocally named like that. It is not a casuality that classical magicians
and alquemist called themselves philosophers, and that the most revolutionary
schools of contemporary magic uses the scientific theories to develop their own
magical theories.

2. Alchemy.

About the development of chemistry from Alquemy, it is more a case of
Desenchantment than a case of Inspiration, but I see your point in the case of
Newton, and I agree it could be a good example his development of the laws of
nature from alchemy. Another example, if you wish, to complete your thesis could
be Johannes Kepler, who was an astrologer and developed the mathematical laws
for inspiration as well. Sorry not giving any bibliography. I read about this
long years ago.

About the world Inspiration, it works very well in the relationship between
religion and science, but it is not what an occultist looks for. He looks true
beliefs about the relationships of things in nature. This means that even when
we are not able to know what is a god or goddess, we can know very clearly what
they are useful for. So, we can have a pragmatist knowledge of those magical
concept.

This is very interesting because it is corroborated by attitudes to the
cosmos,to the relationships between mind and nature,including
spirit,demonstrated by occultists in the two major online occult groups I belong
to-Solomonic and EvocationalMagics.By the way,I wrote that essay on account of
an  argument on some Nigerian focused online groups about what value  classical
African spiritualities can have beyond their significance for their
believers.The idea of the occult as you describe it above would need to  be
carefully described in such a context,with accounts of work by practitioners
using African or African occult methods.The level of systematization,in terms of
public discussions of theory and sharing of practical experience I am
encountering in Western centered occult groups is something difficult to imagine
for me in a Nigerian context where the occult is still largely  understood as
the antithesis of the rational and of public discourse partly beceause the
native systems   are  only slowly being developed intellectually as  Western
occultism is doing,partly a fall out of a slower rate of recovery from the
dominance of the rationalism of the of the  Western epistemic paradigm

I don´t have any experience about Nigerian animism. I talk about Western
Esotericism, were I think some of my thesis are aplicable. In fact, following
Kingsley readings of Parmenides, from the beginning of our culture this
dichotomy between rationality and religion is the biggest problem and, at the
same time, the source of the majors cultural contributions we have been able to
produce. I think Western Esotericism is either rational and mistical from the
beginning, and we cannot take out neither of those manifestations.

Esoterism is a discipline which tries to do good inquiry with its own
method...the aim of doing esotericism is the aim of finding true beliefs about
reality. The only problem with esotericism is that the tool that it is developed
is the own human being.

This is a beautiful conception.I wonder if I could learn how you came to see
esotericism  this way and if you would care to share what methods you use.

On the one hand I have more than 15 years experience in practical reading tarot,
reading astrological charts, magic in the goldendawn tradition and other
contemporary schools and alchemy of phisical laboratory. I have known a lot of
different people in those years which probably would subscribe most of what I am
saying. Making predictions, rituals or alchemy are very practical matters which
works or not. Although sometimes there are errors, big errors, I found that the
problem with magic is not that it does not work, but the side-effects any
magical operation has, which is ever unpredictable. On the other I am a
philosopher, doing my PhD in pragmatism and epistemology, which I consider a
powerful philosophical tool to understand esotericism because it permits to take
experience into account. The method I use is a judicial method. Everything is
innocent unless there is evidence of its guilty. In pragmatist words, we have
beliefs which sustains our life and we don´t suspect of them because a
methodical doubt. We doubt when we have a reason to doubt, and any of our
beliefs can be falsified if events show it, but if there is no reason to doubt,
we don´t. In this spirit I have approximated to any esoteric discipline, and it
has resulted very fruitful.

The degree to which you think your perspective on the  capacity of esotericism
for validation of its beliefs  has been  justified.

About the degree of validation, it is part of the Western Esotericism training.
Any of the big esoteric figures had a different form to validate, for example,
if an entity which was in contact was a powerful entity and if you could trust
in them. Dion Fortune asked the entity some kind of evidence. Aleister Crowley
used to make some qabalistic proofs with the name of the entity. It can be
allegued that those are not good evidence, but the aim of validation is inside
the spirit of this current, and this is something Religion does not have. Once
you have a revelation, you have to trust it without proofs. This does not mean
there are not people who lye themselves, who looks for justification in just
imagination, etc. This does not mean that all the supposed truths about esoteric
movements are true. In fact, there is a lot of rubbish and very few true facts.
But there is something to inquire and there are people who are doing this
inquiry and who want to validate those beliefs.

I am sorry I don´t have any paper written about these subjects. I have just
discovered the existence of Academic research in this matter and I am yet
recovering myself of this incredible and happy event.

Best wishes,

Ana G.

Hello,