"massification of the scientific methodology" - I like that. Interesting point. Something similar to the massification of esotericism in the same period.

Best,

Jesper.

From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sebastián
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 3:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] magic and empiricism

I believe that Empiricism and Magic are strongly related though it is not the same to say that Magic IS the same as Science. In my anthropology thesis in which I have explored Samael Aun Weor's gnosticism in Argentina, I came across with a strong notion of empiricism as a way of "proving by yourself"  the effects of the exercises suggested by these teachings.

I wrote about this issue and pointed out as part of post-postmodernist worldview in which there might occured some kind of "massification of the scientific methodology" helped by the autonomic and human potential movement from the second half of 20th century. The whole hypothesis was based in that the supposedly "disenchantment of the world" in the first half of the 20th century might leaded up to these autonomy movements in which was involved and boosted the process of rationalization and individualization pointed out by Durkheim and Weber.

Sebastian