> I do however feel rather alienated by the 'skeptic' movement, despite
> admiring James Randi, as I find it is by definition an ideological
> mindset rather than a truly scientific perspective. I thus find myself
> in a quandary. Am I a believer or just someone into fanciful ideas?
> This leads me onto another thought. If magic is 'real', can it be
> proven? By that, I mean can magical events be quantified, can these
> results be falsified and can such findings survive vigorous peer
> review?

I have a lot of time for James Randi, Martin Gardiner et al - given the
laughable claims made by Uri Geller and his ilk - and am a long time reader
of The Skeptic.
However, I find dogmatic "the world is scientific" claims equally laughable.

It's worth a read of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del's_incompleteness_theorems>
 .
If "you" construct propositional logical assumptions to "prove" "ideas" then
you must ask what a priori axiomatic assumptions you make about the
conception of self and the nature of reality. Can assumptions be fully and
consistently expressed and argued about in a meaningful and logical manner?
Can conceptualisations ever represent a unlimited model of experience? If
not and the model is limited, can it ever be treated as a universal theory
or usefully applied in a partial way?

Regards, Peter