Seems like what you're talking about is far beyond the intended scope of the book. It's not meant to be about "broader occulture." It's meant to be about non-Gardnerian strains of witchcraft.

From: Samuel Wagar <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, July 5, 2010 12:50:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Gaskill 2010 : Witchcraft

If you're interested in histories of American witchcraft outside of the direct Gardner lineage, I would highly recommend Chas Clifton's Her Hidden Children.

Clifton's book has a few giant holes, though. He pretty well starts with the books going across the sea in the late 1950s. But has nothing about the broader occulture, especially in esoteric Masonry, the folk magick (Appalachian and Pennsylvania Deutsch conjuring, African derived practices like Hoodoo) and the streams of sex magick from Paschal Randolph and the Holy Brotherhood of Luxor. The biggest hole, I think is the lack of discussion of Theosophy and Spiritualism, considering how hugely important they were from 1860-1920ish, and still indirectly.

Godwin's "Theosophical Enlightenment" (SUNY Press 1994) fills in many holes.

Best

Sam Wagar