From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ahmed M. Abou-Setta, MD
Sent: 21 July 2010 18:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: question re using unpublished, industry supplied data in systematic reviews

Hi Eric and Leigh-Ann,

What you are describing is the grey literature; that semi-black, semi-white area that comprises of material not readily available from the published literature. There are many forms of grey literature and unpublished data from the files of the manufacturer. It is both important and vital to include this information because this information may not be available from any other source outside the company files (unless it was published). This will diminish the probability of publication bias and add merit to your systematic review. Cochrane systematic reviews, health technology assessments, comparative effectiveness reviews, etc. all use unpublished data, including from industry. The important this is that you transparent where you got the information and to keep yourself sheltered from any potential risk of bias towards or against the companies involved. Example, when performing comparative effectiveness reviews for AHRQ, we are not allowed to have any contact with the drug or devise manufacturers. This is done for us by a third independent party to shield us from any possible notion of bias. But in the end, the companies involved are asked to provide what is known as a Scientific Information Packet (SIP) containing anything from monographs to unpublished, or in-press articles, they would like us to consider.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ahmed

_______________________________________

Ahmed M. Abou-Setta, MD, PhD

Postdoctoral Fellow/ Project Coordinator,

     University of Alberta Evidence-Based Practice Center (UA-EPC)

     Alberta Research Centre for Health Evidence (ARCHE)

     University of Alberta (Canada)

Principal Evidence-based Medicine Consultant, PharmArchitecture Limited (UK)

Member, Editorial Advisory Board, The Open Medical Devices Journal

Member, Geneva Foundation for Medical Education & Research

Member, Menstrual Disorders & Subfertility Subgroup, Cochrane Collaboration

Aberhart Centre One, Room 8412

11402 University Avenue

Edmonton, Alberta

CANADA T6G 2J3