This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Hi

Thanks Vicki, Ros and Christine for your very helpful info.

You're quite right, it appears to be what was known as a 'violet ray
machine' or 'violet ray generator'.

I've now found some useful and interesting web stuff on vintage violet
ray machines, including this website, which is an online museum of
vintage electrotherapy

http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com

Thanks again for helping to identify this unusual gadget!

Adam

Adam Bell
Assistant Keeper
History
Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
South Shields Museum & Art Gallery
Ocean Road
South Shields NE33 2JA
Tel: +44(0)191 456 8740
Fax: +44(0)191 456 7850
Email: [log in to unmask]

Vote for the Great North Museum to win the Best Heritage Project in the National Lottery Awards:
www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/awards

Help us to celebrate the 150th anniversary of South Shields Museum & Art Gallery by making a donation today. Donate to support the inspirational learning and community programmes for children and families. To find out more, please visit http://www.twmuseums.org.uk/southshields/

Leader of the North East Regional Museums Hub

Our mission is to help people determine their place in the world and define their identities, so enhancing their self-respect and respect for others. Find out more at: www.twmuseums.org.uk

2009 North East Public Sector Organisation of the year.

v.1TWAM