Hi Tim et al.

I was wondering if someone could kindly explain to me how I should be
compiling a fortran program against Starlink libraries please?
Examples below of what I get for different Starlink releases and, in
some cases, different fortran compilers.   I am using a Leopard 10.5.8
Intel Dual Core 2 laptop.

Thanks,
COlin

ps. I also have a Snow Leopard desktop which I could try some of these
also if it is of any use.

If I use lehuakona:

[caa@nox sedn]% which g95
/star/bin/g95
[caa@nox sedn]% g95 sedn.f -o sedn caalen.o -L/star/lib -lchr -lpgplot
-lgwm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lemsf -lems -lcnf

The compile/link works.

If I use nanahope:

[caa@nox sedn]% which g95
/star/bin/g95
[caa@nox sedn]% g95 sedn.f -o sedn caalen.o -L/star/lib -lchr -lpgplot
-lgwm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lemsf -lems -lcnf
g95: installation problem, cannot exec 'f951': No such file or directory

If I use hawaiki-32bit:

[caa@nox sedn]% which g95
g95: Command not found.
[caa@nox sedn]% which g77
/usr/local/bin/g77
[caa@nox sedn]% which f95
/usr/local/bin/f95
[caa@nox sedn]% f95 sedn.f -o sedn caalen.o -L/star/lib -lchr -lpgplot
-lgwm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lemsf -lems -lcnf
ld warning: in /star/lib/libchr.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libpgplot.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libgwm.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libemsf.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libems.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libcnf.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: duplicate dylib /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
Undefined symbols:
   "_pgsch_", referenced from:
       _main in sedn.o
       _main in sedn.o
       _main in sedn.o
etc...

If I use hawaiki-64bit:

[caa@nox sedn]% which g95
g95: Command not found.
[caa@nox sedn]% which g77
/usr/local/bin/g77
[caa@nox sedn]% which f95
/usr/local/bin/f95
[caa@nox sedn]% f95 sedn.f -o sedn caalen.o -L/star/lib -lchr -lpgplot
-lgwm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lemsf -lems -lcnf
ld warning: duplicate dylib /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.1.dylib
Undefined symbols:
   "_starCalloc", referenced from:
       flat_namespace undefines in libcnf.dylib
   "_starRealloc", referenced from:
       flat_namespace undefines in libcnf.dylib
   "_starMallocAtomic", referenced from:
       flat_namespace undefines in libcnf.dylib
   "_starFree", referenced from:
       flat_namespace undefines in libems.dylib
       flat_namespace undefines in libcnf.dylib
   "_starMalloc", referenced from:
       flat_namespace undefines in libems.dylib
       flat_namespace undefines in libcnf.dylib
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

or

[caa@nox sedn]% g77 sedn.f -o sedn caalen.o -L/star/lib -lchr -lpgplot
-lgwm -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lemsf -lems -lcnf
ld warning: in caalen.o, file is not of required architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libchr.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libpgplot.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libgwm.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libemsf.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libems.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
ld warning: in /star/lib/libcnf.dylib, file is not of required
architecture
Undefined symbols:
   "_pgsls_", referenced from:
       _MAIN__ in ccQUdoub.o