For Sean and thanks to Gavid: I did the Drayton entry for the DNB but
I blush to say I don't know what Tuve was thinking of unless it is
indeed this Wynkyn.  Might Jeanie Brink? In any case I quite agree
with Gavin that printers don't cavort in pastoral fields or on
Parnassus even when named Wynkyn (nor, I think, is the printer the
same Wynkyn as he of "Wyknyn, Blynkyn, and Nod"). There are some
serious issues here, though--why is it almost risible to think of
Aldus, Stephanus, and Ponsonby dancing with thinly disguised
Elizabethan poets in such verse? Is it the technology? All a poet
needs is a feather (once part of a soaring bird) and some paper, and
if you imagine poets as singers all they need is themselves and maybe
a harp. Playing with the Muses or riding Pegasus with a printing
press, or even a small modern printer, under one arm is just funny to
imagine. The reason this may matter is that it goes with our own
tendency, until recently, to minimize the role and intelligence of
printers, maybe because we know they want to make money and money is
so un-Parnassian, so that if Spenser didn't oversee this or that
publication we tend, too often, not to try to trace the intelligence
behind the organization or whatever. Printers don't dance with
shepherds or muses. Anne.