Hi Clare,

Though our work in analysing our information management issues and
requirements we came up with the following definitions:

"Data = Individual facts or pieces of information. Raw observations or
measurements."

"Information =  A collection of data that has been organised within a
context which conveys meaning following analysis of relationships and
connections between data."

I would say the important distinction between data and information is
that data is not structured.

I also think it is very important not to get hung-up over the physical
format, and in reality both 'data' and 'information' are 'format
agnostic'. Data is not necessarily digital in nature, and could just as
easily be a scrap of paper. I'm sure the concept of data existed long
before the first computers?

Although I may be wrong? And will happily stand corrected if any of the
brighter minds on the list disagree...

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Brian