We are in the process of deploying an email archiving system across our organisation and would like to find out what others have done in this tricky area.

Some context: in our organisation we do NOT currently have any corporate information management system / EDRM / SharePoint available to all staff - although this may change.  Some departments (social care and legal services, for example) do have specific document / case management systems where all service user emails should be transferred to.  Other business areas don't have other systems to use for managing emails beyond Outlook (now with the additional archiving tool) and the option of using network / shared drives - which isn't really a viable option.

Responses to some / all of the following questions - or any other useful information and case studies people would be willing to share - would be very useful...

1. Do you have a dedicated email archive tool?

2. Is it used just to: (a) manage mailbox sizes or (b) for 'compliance' reasons or c) both?

For example we are currently following route (a) - i.e. where emails are archived from mailboxes after 7 days and replaced with a "stub" so if users delete emails within 7 days they will not be in the archive

3. What retention policy is implemented for emails within the archive tool? i.e. 1 year? 2 years? Another timeframe?

It would be useful to know how you arrived at the decision on your email retention policy - i.e what the key reasons / drivers were in your organisation.  Or perhaps there is no retention period in your organisation, and if so, has this caused problems?

4. Policy on "personal" emails - is your policy to a) ban use of council email system for personal emails or b) allow "reasonable" use or c) other?

5. Webmail - do you allow staff access to their personal webmail accounts (hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc) - Y/N?

All responses on this subject - either on or off list - would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Graham Hawtin

Corporate Information Manager | ICT | London Borough of Richmond upon Thames
1st Floor, York House Annexe, Richmond Road, Twickenham, Middlesex TW1 3AA
020 8831 6339 | [log in to unmask] | www.richmond.gov.uk