Hi

As the person who lit this touch paper I feel I should respond.

I can agree with what Richard is saying, maybe not his choice of words, but the sentiments.

I am sure that the number of organisations is wide, but their breadth is not.
I see no evidence of input from the people who are in the directory or from the teachers who are expected to use the directory.
Like Richard, my queries began with private emails but I got no real answers.

I have still not been told what assessment I am supposed to be doing, other than to go to Newcastle and listen to a seminar!

I am in the interesting situation that my wife works on public sector value for money audit. Her views on the money spent on the various STEM websites are "interesting".

I would also point out that the time to invite feedback was BEFORE the site went live with such a dire and clunky search algorithm.
Sciencelive do it well. Why are you duplicating them less well at greater cost?
STEMdirectories require people to fit a category to sign in to leave a comment. Hence they do not and will not bother.
A county STEM coordinator - who wished to independently evaluate my work did not fit a box. She could not leave a review.
I regularly ask teachers to put on reviews. The last one commented "that may take some time"

I am not on a salary - if I am not up to scratch I earn nothing.
My weekly audience is up to 3000 children, teachers and families. I KNOW what inspires them by the look on their faces and the comments I get.

If the powers that be want to really help foot soldiers like me, (and without us there will be no directory worth having) then the best thing they can do at the moment is to make it clear to schools that budgets for science outreach are safe and they can still have events.
I am sure there are people on this forum who have the contacts to do that little concrete thing.

I look forward to it.

Have a good weekend.

Ian

Do Science Ltd
37 Upper Brownhill Road, Southampton, SO16 5NG
www.doscience.co.uk

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. It is intended for the personal attention of the addressee only.
If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this e-mail is unauthorised.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your computer.
While Do Science Ltd has taken every reasonable precaution to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments.
You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment.

Nicola Hannam wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear Richard

As indicated on the website, a wide range of organisations have been involved in the directories and I am sure that the team would be open to constructive and polite feedback.  The “About Us” section includes an email address if you wish to get in touch with them: http://www.stemdirectories.org.uk/about_us/who_has_created_the_stem_directories.cfm

Best wishes
Nicola

Nicola Hannam
Director, Education & Skills
www.futuremorph.org

The Science Council | 32-36 Loman Street | London | SE1  0EH

Tel: 020 7922 7889 | Email: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

Website: www.sciencecouncil.org | www.charteredscientist.org

This email is intended only for the person(s) named as the recipient(s). The contents are confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify us as soon as possible and delete it.  Any use by you of its content is prohibited. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Science Council.