Here are five contributions to our conversations. In particular I'm hoping that you will respond to Susan's note in point iii) where Susan is encouraging us to make contributions in the ALARA website.

i) On 29 Jun 2010, at 21:19, Alan Markowitz wrote:

> Hi from the States.
> We have a bit of a different view of how action research may be used. At our university, this model has been accepted as the capstone experience for all of our graduate programs in education. I have shared our methodology with Jack in Zagreb.
> Alan

I'm inspired by Alan's success in contributing to a systemic influence of action research at The College of Saint Elizabeth in New Jersey, USA and his use of Checkland's soft systems methodology in the integration of action research into all the graduate programs in education.

I'm hoping that Alan will share an account/explanation of his contribution to this systemic influence of AR at the College.

In relation to Alan's use of Soft Systems Methodology Kenichi Uchiyama, a former president of the Japan Association of Action Research, has written about his modification of Checkland's ideas in a Japanese context in his March 2009 paper on action research:

'A Concise Theoretical Grounding of Action Research: Based on Checkland's Soft Systems Methodology, And Kimura's Phenomenological Psychiatry.'

You can access Kenichi's paper at:

http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/japan/kenichiuchiyamaar.pdf

Please note that Kenichi has asked that the paper isn't circulated without his permission.

ii) On 23 Jun 2010, at 09:02, Cain T. wrote:

> Dear all,
> Following the AR conference Zagreb I was moved to re-work a paper that I had already submitted to a journal, about teachers' classroom-based action research. Here is the abstract:
>
> I argue that teachers’ classroom-based action research is frequently misunderstood by those who undertake it and support it, in three respects. First, it is wrongly assumed to fall into either positivist or interpretative paradigms (or perhaps a mixture of both) or to be critical. Second, there is little understanding as to why action research is necessarily self-reflexive, collaborative and political. Third, there is a view that classroom research studies are not suitable for dissemination because they are not generalisable. Drawing on Heron and Reason (1997) I outline a view of how teachers are positioned in their classroom to explain why teachers’ classroom-based action research cannot be underpinned by positivist, interpretative or critical paradigms, is necessarily self-reflexive, collaborative and political (albeit in a weak form) and is suitable for dissemination to teachers, working in similar contexts.
>
> If anyone is interested in reading and responding to the article I will happily send it to you. I would particularly appreciate critical comments because I will resubmit it soon and I'm sure it could be strengthened by critical appraisal. My email address is [log in to unmask]

I think Tim's argument that teachers' classroom-based action research cannot be underpinned by positivist, interpretive or critical paradigms is persuasive and should be widely disseminated. The one suggestion I'd make is that the paper might benefit from a section at the end pointing towards the accumulated evidence base from the Self-Study of Teacher Education Practices Special Interest Group of AERA (it was founded in 1993) that supports the point that teacher's classroom-based action research is necessarily self-reflexive, collaborative and political and is suitable for dissemination to teachers working in similar contexts. It might be that a couple of references to the teacher-researcher accounts at http://www.actionresearch.net/living/living.shtml could serve to reinforce this point. I'm thinking particularly of:

Erica Holley's  (1997) How do I as a teacher-researcher contribute to the development of a living educational theory through an exploration of my values in my professional practice? . M.Phil., University of Bath. Retrieved 30 June 2010 from  http://www.actionresearch.net/living/erica.shtml ;

Karen Riding's (2008) How do I come to understand my shared living educational standards of judgement in the life I lead with others? Creating the space for intergenerational student-led research  PhD., University of Bath. Retrieved 30 June 2010 from http://www.actionresearch.net/living/karenridingphd.shtml .
iii) Enhancing the influence of our action research through the interconnecting and branching channels of communication in the ALARA website.

Susan is encouraging us, in the note below to contribute to the communications on the ALARA website. Here is the url http://www.alara.net.au/public/home to get you into the Networking Streams with the invitation:

"The Congress Streams include: Social Ecology, International Community Development, Health and Wellbeing, Systems, Education and Learning, Decolonising Practice with Indigenous Peoples, Feminist AR. Discussion has started in all these streams - join the website, listen in to the conversation, and jump in with your contribution."

It would be good to know if you encounter any difficulty in accessing or making your contribution to any of the Virtual Networking Streams. It would be really good if you'd respond to my introductory message in the Education and Learning Stream.

Here is Susan's note: