Dear All,

I have completed the first draft of my paper for 'Environmental Economics', and attach it herewith. I hope to submit it to the journal soon. Please let me know of any way in which you think it could be improved [NB it is already close to word limit]. It is, of course, unconventional, and I don't know whether the journal's referees/editors will swallow some of its extravagances, but I guess it's worth trying. I can always publish it at 'Best Thinking' if they don't want it.

Meanwhile, I wrote a poem yesterday concerning the evolutionary contrast between 'striving for supremacy' through independent growth and 'seeking sustainability' through autocatalytic flow (where flow of current decreases resistance to further flow). I've pasted it below. I hope it brings some pleasure and, maybe, insight.

Warmest

Alan

-------------------------------------

Following Each Other’s Footsteps

Some might aspire

To climb on other’s shoulders

Whence to gain an elevated view

Atop a stack of figures

Perched precariously

From pinnacle to ground

Where ground is All below

Lost from near in sight

By far out of sight

Distanced from feeling

The thick of life

Where down to Earth

The dew hangs heavy

Grass grows tall

The humid forest yawns

Smelling of humus

Blanketed by mosses

Bedecked with ferns

Pervaded by slithering, rustling, stamping

Resounding with squawks, barks, twitters

One feels so small

Within it all

Seeking safe passage

From here to there in everywhere