Thanks Marie, for all the recommended writings which I will look up.  I am very interested in what you say about writing in the form of living theory research rather than as a traditional essay.  Would you have any initial guidance on how to do this?

Thanks,

Brendan

--- On Sun, 6/6/10, Marie Huxtable <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Marie Huxtable <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, 6 June, 2010, 12:37

Hi Brendon
The question you pose, of an educator researching to improve their values based practice given the constraints and demands of their institution or organisation, is one that the teachers and headteachers who have worked with Jack on the Masters programme have been creating their responses to. Have a look at some of the accounts on http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/mastermod.shtml. This one might resonate with you particularly, Amy Skuze, 'How have my experiences of Year 2 SAT's influenced my perceptions of assessment in teaching and learning?'. Each is unique and evolving.

I find the accounts in EJOLTs similarly inspiring This one might by Martina Clerkin, 'How can I use Irish language e-portfolios in the assessment for learning approach in my primary classroom?' access from http://ejolts.net/node/132, might be one to start with as Martina is a class teacher working within demands not disimilar to your own.

You might want to think about this as an opportunity to develop and share your living theory research rather than as a traditional essay. I suggest this as the creation of a living theory account is an integral part of your research rather than a report about research. Your living theory research account  might be focussed intially by a question something like:

How do I live and work better according to my personal and educational values as I engage with the creative curriculum and prepare my pupils for the demands of the optional Y3 SAT tests?

This might not be your final question any more than the narratives you begin to create will necessarily be included in your final account but it might be something to start with. I am hoping Jack might help suggest where you might begin creating your narratives that will help you in this stage of your research.

Many thanks for sharing your values based improving practice research story as it begins
Hope you feel an appreciative smile
Marie