Simpson was one of those guys who got ignored in the Seventies, I never had to worry over him, so I did not. This can be reversed. I am looking for MODELS, not to copy from, but as sources of ways to resolve technical issues. I wrote far more effectively about my old cat Pushkin who I had put down in 2006. The workshop leader, Adele Kenny, gave us a prompt: write about what is not there. She then took a call from HER vet about one of her Yorkshire terriers who was quite ill. I'd not written about this cat, who really was my best friend for 9 years, and if what came out was imperfect, the reversals of What Is Not strengthened it.

CAT ELEGY: YOU ARE NOT HERE

(September 9, 2006)

While you were dying I stroked your coat.

It was not beautiful, it never was,

but I stroked your coat because it was yours

as years before I healed my de-married self

by stroking that same coat,

crying then as I cried this morning,

by loving you not because you were

my perfect magical healer, but because

you loved me and wanted me now not to hold you close

as I’d held you close, but to let you go

to Outside Over There, but you were not there

and now you are here.

Maybe a better expression.....

Ken Wolman			http://awfulrowing.wordpress.com/

"All writers are hunters, and parents are the most available prey."
--Francine du Plessix Gray

>>> http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=664