Hi All

Isn't that a little tricky?  Some students are really bad exam
candidates (_especially_ oral exams), whereas, if they are given lots of
time and space, they can construct a wonderful assignment.  (And then
there are those, that, given an assignment and a full library, don't
know where to start and become easily overwhelmed - but set them a
single essay under exam conditions, and they flourish).  I've seen that
all the way from 1st year to PhD.

This, after all, is one of the strong motivations to have mixed-mode
assessments, and why some Masters' candidates take only course-based
Masters, while other others take only thesis-based Masters.

So I think one should be very careful about deciding that an assignment
was plagiarized just because the student gives a really bad viva and
couldn't write a good paragraph about it.

Regards

Ken

----

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education