Post-doc at Oxford University in Applied Combinatorial Optimization

Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Assistant in Spreading Processes on Networks and Applied Combinatorial Optimization. We also have a one year appointment on network inference (see www.physics.ox.ac.uk/jobs/)

The post is available initially for a fixed-term duration of 2 years. We will consider candidates either from Applied Combinatorial Optimization or from Network Science.

Candidates with a background in combinatorial optimization will investigate a spectrum of computational methods from applied combinatorial optimization as applied to a set of canonical problems constrained by real data. The aim will be to reach across methods from the many ways in which combinatorial optimization is performed in practice, making sure that we consider a good representation of typical metaheuristics. One of our objectives will be to use these methods as a way of investigating the nature of the data as well as the nature of the algorithms. Our benchmarked methods will be turned to improved approaches to detecting clusters in graphs and methods for controlling rumour propagation on social networks.

This is part of the EPSRC grant `Game theory and adaptive networks for smart evacuations’. Part of this is to probe the way in which information about a threat propagates around social networks and to ask how this might be perturbed optimally. The candidate will meet with social scientists to establish how to parameterize and motivate the appropriate simple models.

The candidate will likely work with another PDRA with practical experience in Evolutionary Computation applied to topics in Evolution. We will consider candidates from across the disciplines.
Please direct informal inquiries about this post to [log in to unmask]
For further particulars of the post, and how to apply please visit http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/jobs/
Application Deadline: 09 July 2010
http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/jobs/upload//dk10-005%20pdra%20jones1_further_particulars.doc