From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jill Rossiter
Sent: Tuesday 22 June 2010 13:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] HR Jobs and Occ Health

Hi Priscilla

Thank you for your reply.  I think I need to give you a little bit of background to my situation.  When I first started working for this manufacturing company I was a shift nurse and looked after all the employees on my  shift for health surveillance and First Aid. There were no work based First Aiders at that time.  All injuries and illness were treated in the Surgery at work. The First Aider/ Technician on nights carried out recording and monitoring of sick pay and I took it over when he was on holiday.   There was another First Aider/Technician working on days and afternoons on the opposite shift to me.  To cut a long story short both have now retired and have not been replaced. We have work based First Aiders and I work the day shift and I now have all shifts to deal with regarding health surveillance.  We had a new HR Manager 3 years ago and my workload had tripled.  I can cope with the extra Occ Health duties but unfortunately the HR duties I now have cuts down dramatically the amount of Occ Health work I can complete.  I seem to be spending the majority of my working day completing daily HR tasks.  I dont feel like a nurse anymore!  These are the HR jobs I now do:

Recording sickness absence for site on HR Tensor system
Maintaining a monthly sickness absence spreadsheet including days and hours lost
Reporting sickness absence hours lost both short and long term on a monthly basis
Recording and monitoring Company and Statutory sick pay entitlement
Writing to employees to inform them when they are running out of sick pay entitlement.
Complete when necessary SSP1 forms for employees  who are about to run out of SSP in order for them to claim ESA.
Record and monitor sickness absence management disciplinary stages for all sickness absentees.
Send copies of absence planners and previous sickness absence disciplinary stages to Managers on employees return to work noting which stage of disciplinary they have reached if applicable.
Recording all sickness absence disciplinary stages issued by Managers.
Monitor outstanding disciplinary issues and remind Managers when outstanding.
Maintain sickness absence disciplinary files for HR dept and file away all related paperwork eg sickness absence forms, minutes of meetings for disciplinary or rehabilitation issues.
Remind all Managers if they are not sending all required paperwork re disciplinary issues.

I have just been on holiday for a week and am due to return to work tomorrow morning. I dread going back as I know that it will take me over a week to catch up on HR work. My holiday has been spoilt as I can only think about the work issues that are worrying me. HR dept record the basics of what I usually do with regard to sickness absence when I am away but they are very happy to hand it back when I return!!!  I really dont know where to start - Am I being unreasonable?  One things for sure I need to support myself as I know I am slipping downhill fast!

Regards

Jill