From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Maguire, Kevin
Sent: 03 June 2010 10:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] HRT Therapy and temperature control - changing
rooms

Dear list,

Sharon's email reminds us not to underestimate the effects of a room change.

On several occasions, I have investigated environmental conditions and
found, behind the complaint, an enforced room change.  On once occasion, it
happened while the person was on leave: they returned to the different space
without any notice.  It is only human to become attached to a place and, if
the rest of someone's life is in turmoil, then the workplace office might be
the one familiar reference point.  Our space says so much to us about who we
are.  It can be part of our existence.   Removing the space can be a threat
to the notion of that existence.  There is a concept in Transactional
Analysis (anyone here old enough to recall TA?) called discounting which
covers this very well: it is when one person in the transaction signals to
the other that they are not taken into account.  It was put as starkly to me
as "it is like shooting that person".  If you are feeling particularly
philosophical and post-mdernist, you might read Foucault's "Technologies of
Self" where he talks of how the knowing and the caring of self (maintaining
one's space might be seen as part of that caring) react iteratively in the
continual remaking of self.

So, take the person's space away and - well - the effect is inevitable.  All
office changes should be really well planned and involve the affected
person.

Kevin

P.S. The extreme of office changes is, of course, 'hot-desking' but it is
interesting how 'hot-desking' really plays out.  I have come across
instances where spaces are claimed, territory marked, and a particular desk
becomes that person's space: hot desks get cooled down.