From: Ethnic Minority Cancer Awareness Week [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Fri 11/06/2010 12:06
To: Mark Johnson
Subject: Correction: Ethnic Minority Cancer Awareness Week - 3rd July 2010 to 10th July 2010

Dear friend
Ethnic Minority Cancer Awareness Week - 3rd July 2010 to 10th July 2010

Ethnic Minority Cancer Awareness week is approaching fast.  We will be doing all we can to raise awareness of cancer within ethnic minority communities and would love it if you could join us.

Cancer affects everyone,   however, we know that some ethnic groups are more at risk of certain cancers than others.   For example, African-Caribbean men are three times more likely to be diagnosed with prostate cancer than white men, mouth cancer is more common among South Asian communities and liver cancer is higher among Bangladeshi and Chinese communities.   In addition to this, awareness of cancer and uptake of some cancer services is lower in ethnic minority communities.   All this can result in poorer survival for ethnic minorities.

We believe something needs to be done about this and we would like your help to do it.   Please have a look at the enclosed pack and think about what you can do over the next few months to raise awareness of cancer in your community.

In the pack you will find all sorts of ideas for different events you could organise as well as useful hints and tips on how to run a successful event,   how to work with the media to promote your event and how to get local celebrities and MP's to support you.  You will also find information leaflets from a number of our partner charities and a form to order more information for your event.  There is also all sorts of information that you can download from our website - www.emcaw.co.uk <http://www.emcaw.co.uk/> .

By supporting and taking part in Ethnic Minority Cancer Awareness Week you will be working to raise awareness of cancer in your own community and empowering individuals to take up the services available to them.

If you want any more information or to talk your ideas through with us please get in touch through the website (www.emcaw.co.uk <http://www.emcaw.co.uk/> .) and we look forward to working with you.

Kind regards,

The Ethnic Minority Cancer Week Alliance