Thank you for sharing this and raising our awareness on this issue. I will make sure to mention it now in my cultural competency programs, something I was not doing before. We have had hear of a few interpreters discriminating against their patients due to past cultural traditions and lack of cultural competency training in their new country.

______________________________
Izabel Arocha, M.Ed. Cultural & Linguistic Educator and TCH Multilingual Manager, Cambridge Health Alliance 617.665.1970 pager 617.546.0425

Always work with a qualified interpreter or translator.

From: Health of minority ethnic communities in the UK [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of James Stephen (Ealing PCT)
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 10:13 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Caste discrimination

Dear Colleagues

The Equality Act has contingent provision to outlaw caste discrimination. Does anyone know of health service or local authority responses? Any local research? Has anyone included caste in EqIA? Any examples of good practice in tackling discrimination in relation to services, workforce, governance?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/nov/11/caste-discrimination-uk-report

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions about this, kind regards, Stephen

Stephen James, Head of Partnerships and Diversity, Ealing Primary Care Trust, 1 Armstrong Way, Southall, Middlesex UB2 4SA. Tel: 020 3313 9318. Fax: 020 3313 9618. Mobile: 07984 732950. Email: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSI recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail