Thanks Bernard

Interesting that you have instances of work being generated for its own
sake. I've just finalised my section on the flag and stone mining industry  in
Wensleydale and at Burtersett Quarries they were operating in an almost
permanent state of bankruptcy from about 1890 to 1920, although I have no
proof;  it can only be explained by if they only operated to provide work. I
think that the Denys family in Swaledale also tried to keep the lead mines
going  in some degree to keep miners employed, (always hoping for better times
of  course).

Regards
Ian