From: mining-history [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Graham Isherwood
Sent: 07 June 2010 17:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mining Methods in Europe - Mayer

A contributor to Aditnow brought the book by Lucius W. Mayer, "Mining
Methods in Europe," Hill Publishing CO. NY 1909 to my attention recently as
there was a chapter in it (XIV) on the Oakeley Slate Quarry. Of particular
interest to me is the illustration on page 80 (Fig 60) showing a water
balance incline. Sadly the scan of the book (available in the Openlibrary)
although good for the text and line drawings, is very poor when it comes to
reproduction of the photographs. Is there anyone on the list who has a copy
of the original book and can tell me whether the original illustration is
any better ?

Many thanks

Graham Isherwood