Best wishes to all, George

--
George FERZOCO

On 27 Jun 2010, at 23:34, Marjorie Greene wrote:

Oh, goodness. What was I thinking? And where did I get "hand"? I'll be back in Venice in 2011 and will try to determine where - other than in my bird brain - I got "hand." It is indeed clearly a foot.
This MAY be an explanation... I find this sort of thing repulsive and I may have just glanced at the thing and saw what I took for a hand. Or it may have been intrusion of the hand - and it is the hand - of Francis Xavier (I think, correction sought) at the Gesł in Rome.
In any case, this is the only relic of C. of S. that I saw in Venice. I'll adjust the album description on the share site at once. Thanks for pointing out the error.
MG

Marjorie Greene
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/

--- On Sun, 6/27/10, John Dillon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [M-R] Catherine of Siena (WAS: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 26. June)
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 9:05 PM

On Sunday, June 27, 2010, at 1:57 am, Marjorie Greene wrote:

> Additional images from Santi Giovanni e Paolo in Venice may be seen at:
> http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/2582
> The hand of Catherine of Siena is also displayed in a reliquary there.

Thanks for the images, Marjorie.

Does SS. Giovanni e Paolo also have a _hand_ of  St. Catherine of Siena?  It's said to have one of her feet.  Your image here of a reliquary with a right foot:
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/2597
following a shot of a placard naming C.:
http://medrelart.shutterfly.com/2596
presumably shows the relic in question (with a puncture that will have been one of her stigmata and that seems to have a trail of dried blood below it).

This Italian-language Wikipedia article says that SS. Giovanni e Paolo has C.'s _left_ foot (scroll down to "Le reliquie"):
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterina_da_Siena
Proving once again how unreliable Wikipedia can be in what would seem to be a simple matter of observable fact?

Best (and eschewing comments about putting one's best foot forward),
John Dillon