medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture Re: [M-R] veneration of statues of the Virgin Mary

Dear All

Apologies! I fell into the trap of pressing the wrong button and broadcasting a private message. Oops!

Graham

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Madeleine Gray
Sent: 21 June 2010 08:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] veneration of statues of the Virgin Mary

I don't think I replied to this, which was remiss of me. I'm attaching my notes on the will + (for your reference only) the copy I downloaded from the NA Documents Online site. You'll see that our brewer was comfortably off, conventionally devout, clearly based in Bristol but with connections in the Margam area.

I've also got the Cadw/NMR notes on the well and chapel. I did a short report for the Wellsprings AGM and we went and had a look, and I'm doing an update with reference to the documents in the BL for Jonathan Wooding's conference in Lampeter on 11-12 Sept.(Mind you, I say Jonathan's conference but one of today's jobs is to get hold of him, find out what he has done and do something about it myself !!!! Poor things, they seem to be in even more chaos than we are and at least we are used to it. There are also dire rumours that the whole of Bangor's theology department is being moved to Lampeter which seems a bit desperate.)

Are you interested - might you have anything to offer, preferably on west Wales wells / saints' cults?

Best wishes

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray

Reader in History

School of Education/Ysgol Addysg

University of Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd

Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,

Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675

'We are not bound to win but we are bound to be true' (Barack Obama)