From: "George FERZOCO" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:12 PM
Subject: [M-R] ADMIN Now we are XV

Early in 1995, Carolyn Muessig was settling into her new position as
Downside Research Fellow in Medieval Religion at the University of
Bristol's Department of Theology and Religious Studies. It had always
been her view that medieval culture could best be understood through
its religious understanding of things, and that a scholarly
discussion list dedicated primarily to this could, and should, be
established. Such a list would complement discussions on excellent
lists such as mediev-l, medtextl and others.

So, she talked about this with me, and with Ian Wei, who at that time
was head of the university's Centre for Medieval Studies. Soon the
three of us became the founding 'owners' of medieval-religion.

Our first member joined us from Norway, and we have now 720 members
on the list from over 30 nations. Our list has been for some time
among the busier and more scholarly of lists devoted to the Middle
Ages, but more importantly we have, overall, remained a friendly and
generously helpful bunch.

The character of the list is due in no small part to those who have
participated as list owners in the past, particularly Ian Wei, Dave
Postles and Otfried Lieberknecht (and Carolyn, of course). (I hope
that soon we may have an additional owner or two, to help us out and
to keep the list going.) Thanks also are due to those who have, over
the years, contributed to some of our ongoing features: our 'feast'
messages (especially Carolyn, Phyllis Jestice and of course John
Dillon), and our 'recent titles' postings (take a bow, Tom Izbicki).
The biggest 'thank you' of all goes to each member, past and present,
who has made the list what it is.

The medieval-religion list was formally established on 2 June 1995,
so today marks our 15th birthday. Let us lift a virtual glass of
bubbly to each other: 'Cheers -- here's to another fifteen years and
more!'

With best wishes, George

--
George FERZOCO