Yes I believe it's possible Gary, and I think we have examples to prove it.
All it requires a national framework which can be applied flexibly at local
level.

The Summer Reading Challenge is a prime example.  A common framework is
available for everyone to use as required at local level.  Small variations
in the offer locally don't matter if the overall message and concept is
consistent and we shout about it loudly and all together.

Public libraries are already absolutely brilliant at providing customised
support to individuals.  In fact they are so good at it that it impedes the
ability to relay a simple national message. Yet a simple message is what's
needed to convey the role and value of the service to everyone else.

It should be possible to capitalize on library strengths by emphasizing
reading and supported access to information and imaginative writing in our
increasingly complex and information overloaded world.  Literacy + free
information + inspiration is a strong rationale and is completely consistent
with a personalized service at local level.

Liz Dubber

  _____