Hi Everyone,

Thought this article may be of interest to some people.

Regards,

Amy

Amy Harrison
Assistant Electronic Resources Librarian
Library and Information Service

Royal Preston Hospital
01772 522012

Sent to you by Amy via Google Reader:

Lancet senior editor sacked after dispute over leading article

via Society: Health | guardian.co.uk by James Robinson on 28/05/10

Dr Rhona MacDonald objected to changes by editor-in-chief to editorial about aid, and sought to distance herself from it

A senior editor at the Lancet has been sacked for gross misconduct following a dispute over an editorial published in the medical journal earlier this year.

Dr Rhona MacDonald objected to changes made by the Lancet's editor-in-chief, Richard Horton, to a leading article she had written about overseas aid in March.

"After two months of disciplinary procedures, I have been dismissed from my position as senior editor of the Lancet for putting my ethical obligations before the policies of Elsevier, the Lancet's publisher," MacDonald said in a statement.

Elsevier is part of Reed Elsevier, the £6bn publishing giant which is quoted on the London stock market.

MacDonald's draft leader praised the then Labour government's record on debt relief and the work carried out by the Department for International Development (DFID).

The published version struck a far more sceptical tone, acknowledging that progress had been made but criticising DFID for failing to find ways to measure the effectiveness of its aid programmes.

MacDonald claims it was changed without her consent, and after the objections of senior colleagues were ignored.

MacDonald said in her statement: "The editor of the Lancet rewrote an editorial that I had written on behalf of the Lancet (all Lancet editorials are signed "the Lancet") that changed the whole meaning of the editorial without giving me, as lead author, or the rest of the leader-writing team, the opportunity to make any comments or suggestions before the editorial went to press."

At the time of the dispute, senior sources at Elsevier insisted that the Lancet had followed its normal editorial rules and that MacDonald had been notified about the proposed changes.

MacDonald warned her contacts in government and at NGOs about the editorial and sought to distance herself from it. "I contacted the contributors to the editorial (people I had interviewed on the agreed pitch to help shape the editorial) to apologise and to let them know what had happened as was my ethical, professional, and journalistic duties towards them. I also sent them the published version of the editorial and my original version," she said.

Sources at the company continue to insist it is not unusual for the Lancet's senior editors to disagree about the line taken by the magazine. It is thought that they were concerned about the damage MacDonald's actions could do to the Lancet's reputation.

MacDonald worked at the Lancet for nearly four years and is understood to have had a close working relationship with Horton.

She appealed unsuccessfully against the decision to fire her and subsequently turned down a proposed tax-free payment of £10,000 from the company, the equivalent of around two months' wages.

MacDonald said: "I have loved working for the Lancet and for the three years and nine months that I worked there was devoted to strengthening the journal's global health work. I respect my former Lancet colleagues and am deeply saddened that my time at the Lancet has had to end in this way."

Elsevier said in a statement. "We have respected the confidentiality of the circumstances of Rhona's departure from the company and wish to continue to do so. We consider it appropriate to make it clear that the company does not agree with the statements Rhona has made upon her departure, but we do not consider it appropriate to comment further."

• To contact the MediaGuardian news desk email [log in to unmask] or phone 020 3353 3857. For all other inquiries please call the main Guardian switchboard on 020 3353 2000.

• If you are writing a comment for publication, please mark clearly "for publication".

James Robinson

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Things you can do from here:

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the individual(s) addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error then please note that disclosing, copying, distributing or retaining this message or any part of it is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted with this e-mail, so although it has been virus checked before transmission, the recipient should also check for the presence of viruses. The information contained in this email may be subject to public disclosure under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of this email and any subsequent reply cannot be guaranteed. http://www.lancsteachinghospitals.nhs.uk